Quiz for Rebels
Decide a name for your team.
Take the pledge NOT to look up any answers on Google! Make a note of your answers as you go along.
Round 1: Where in the World?
1. On Feb 29th 2020 one European country declared free public transport to all residents, commuters and tourists. Where in the world is it?
2. Arguably the largest Solar Park in the world is in China – Longyangxia Dam Solar Park. But where is it on the map?
3. And do you know what other significant energy source is its neighbour?
4. Which three countries in the list below produce electricity with 100% renewable energy!
Albania / Uruguay / Iceland / Paraguay / Denmark / Portugal
5. Small communities can do it too. Which UK island with a population of 83 meets 90% of its average yearly electricity demand with renewable energy?
Round 2: Climate Change Facts at your fingertips
(all facts verified by the Earth Day network)
1. Which of the following is a greenhouse gas?
CO2 / CH4 / Water vapour / All of these
2. What was agreed to in the “Paris Agreement” that came out of COP-21, held in Paris in 2015?
A. To protect biodiversity and end the deforestation of the world’s rainforests
B. To keep global temperature rise well below 2℃ pre-industrial levels and to pursue a path to limit warming to 1.5℃
C. To limit sea level rise to 3 feet above current levels
D. To pursue a goal of 100% clean, renewable energy
3. Which of these countries emits the most carbon dioxide?
China / USA / UK / Russia
4. How much has the average global temperature risen by since 1880 (in Fahrenheit)?
0.5 degrees / 1.69 degrees / 5 degrees
Round 3: Who said it?
1 . Who said: Our economic system, run for profit and waste and based primarily on extractive industries, is the cause of climate change. We have wasted the earths treasure and we can no longer exploit it cheaply.
Arianna Huffington / Vivienne Westwood / Sharon White / Donald Trump
2. Who said: 25 years ago, people could be excused for not knowing much, or doing much, about climate change. Today we have no excuse.
Kofi Annan / Nelson Mandela / Desmond Tutu / Donald Trump
3. Who said: We don’t have time to sit on our hands as our planet burns. For young people, climate is bigger than election or re-election. It’s life or death.
Ariana Grande / Alexandria Ocasio- Cortez / Greta Thunberg / Donald Trump
4. Who said: I hope when we go out from this place tonight and we are waylaid by importunate, nose-ringed, climate change protesters, we remind them that [Margaret Thatcher] was also right about greenhouse gasses. And she took it seriously long before Greta Thunberg.
Nigel Farage / Boris Johnson / Piers Morgan / Donald Trump
5. Who said: Climate change is very important to me. I’ve done many environmental impact statements in my life, and I believe strongly in very, very crystal clear, clean water and clean air.
(no options for this one …)
Round 4: Round for Rebels:
Someone’s been tampering with the three demands. Can you restore the statements to their original form?
We have three demands in the UK:
Tell the truth
1. Government must tell the truth by declaring their commitment to making the country more environmentally friendly, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
2. Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 50% by 2025.
3. Government must create and be led by the decisions of an all party panel of MPs on climate and ecological justice.
2019 was a busy year for XR UK rebels.
Can you put the following actions in the right months (They all took place in 2019 – and there were many more!)
- London Fashion Week (1)
- London Fashion Week (2)
- House of Commons naked demonstration
- Summer Uprising – including Bristol
- Port of Dover blockade
- Blood of our children (outside Downing Street)
- Occupations in London – including creating a garden on Waterloo Bridge
- 12 days of Crisis
- International Rebellion with several thousand people shutting down parts of Westminster in central London, blocking Whitehall, the Mall, Westminster Bridge, Lambeth Bridge, Trafalgar Square, Downing Street and Victoria Embankment.
February / March / April (two events) / July / September (two events) / October / December
1. What did former Paralympian cyclist James Brown get up to in October 2019?
2. Which Royal figure was arrested (and later released) for sitting down in Trafalgar Square?
3. Who stood on top of the entrance of the Department of Transport on 15th October and called on ministers to explain how their continued expansion of roads and airports fitted with a net-zero emissions target?