Improve your skills with Computers & Phones
Bring your computer/phone – Bring your questions. Explore, play, discover and build your confidence – all with the support and help of a group of experts (these are not formal, structured lessons). For all levels – beginners to experienced users.
Free sessions (donations welcome). Come to one … or come to many
Fortnightly on Thursday evenings from 7 to 9pm at the Old School Community Centre in South Brent
More info …
Could you help out?
The sessions are free (donation only).
Trainers offer their time for free. Room costs and admin (booking and marketing/posters) are covered by funding and/or donations. Any excess donations go to charities (voted on by the trainers).
“Just received a cheque from you for £166.40 – wow, what an amazing amount. It will be put to good use. Thank you so much. Best wishes Jane Sullivan – South Brent & District Caring” [from donations raised in 2017]
Also £166.40 donated to the South Brent Old School Community Centre. [from donations raised in 2017]
Donations from 2018 soon to be released!
More information, dates and how to book
- You decide what you want to learn
- A trainer will spend time with you, offering tips and advice and guidance
- Then you try things out on your own, practise and use Google to look things up
- When you next get stuck, a trainer will come and help you again
- Then you try more things out on your own
This way the trainers can spread themselves around a lot of people (instead of it being 1 to 1)
PLUS you learn in a way that encourages you to become more self sufficient and confident, trying things out and looking things up yourself.
Fortnightly two hour sessions on Thursday evenings from 7 to 9pm at the Old School Community Centre in South Brent
Come to one … or come to many
- May 9
- June 6
- July 4
July 18[cancelled] Aug 1 / 15 / 29[we will not be running any August sessions]
- Sep 12 / 26
- Oct 10 / 24
- Nov 7 / 21
- Dec 5
Book a place or ask a question
Email email@example.com or call him on 01364 649290 or 07795 257849
There are limited places and we have to ensure there are enough trainers for participants – so it helps to know how many people we are expecting.
What do I need to bring?
- Your laptop, tablet, iPad or phone
- A charger
- Paper and a pen
- And write down what you want to get out of the session, your questions and things you want to try out
First time student?
This is pretty close to what we do!
Feedback from students
“An amazing evening of guidance.”
“All abilities are welcomed – from complete beginners, I’m recommending it to my friends”
“Impressed by hearing trainers say, ‘I don’t know the answer to that … but let’s find out together.’ Immensely more valuable than just giving instructions.”
“Using computer, smartphone and IPad has been a very lonely and frustrating business – no one to ask and no instruction manuals. Thanks to you, I have learned more in one evening than in many weeks of struggle!”
“What I have learned is that, with a bit of patience, I can do more than I expected.”
“The tutors were incredibly patient, kind and helpful. I feel so much more confident. If I had had this help years ago it would have saved me from hours of frustration and despair. Thank you all!”
“A fantastic service to have in the village”
“The design of the sessions, the amount of autonomy offered to us; the ready availability of help.”
“I enjoyed the relaxed, supportive atmosphere”
“I’m getting to grips with some stuff which I have never been able to do, and finding things on my PC which I didn’t know were there.”
“I felt so pleased when I worked a small thing out for myself; I would not have done that at home, but a supportive environment gave me the confidence to try.”
“What works well is the individual attention so there’s time to deal with your queries and you can ask whatever you want to ask without going public!”
“I can wholeheartedly recommend your sessions to all comers.”
I’m thinking of volunteering as a “trainer”
You don’t have to be an expert or whiz kid. You’ll be one of 3 or 4 trainers and there’ll always be at least one “expert” in the room. Your role will be to wander round the room and help people when they’re stuck – usually with a “I don’t know … let’s look that up together”.
The sessions are 2 hours long and we’re asking people to offer to do one session a month. Less would also work, as we already have a small team of trainers.
If you’re interested, get in touch with me to have a chat on firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on 01364 649290 or 07795 257849.
And the best idea is to come to a session (as an observer) and see what it’s like!
What we’re looking for in trainers
Knowing more than the people you’re training is useful!
But actually, equally important is …
- a relaxed/relaxing manner
- the willingness to say you don’t know and to look things up with the person
- experience of using computers, Google and/or a smart phone
The types of questions we get
For smart phones
- How do I use my new smart phone?
- How do I set up my new smart phone?
- What can I do with my new smart phone?
- How to download/buy an App
For computers and tablets
- I have a new tablet/iPad – how do i use it?
- My photos are all over the place
- I can’t find my photos!
- How can I get my photos on my phone AND my laptop?
- Is my anti-virus up to date?
- How to do an anti-virus scan?
- How can I edit a video I took with my camera
- I want to make a poster
- How can I edit a picture?
- I’m worried my disk might be full – how can I find out?
- Should I say ‘yes’ to Java updates?
- I have an external drive – how do I use it?
- I’d like to make a simple Excel sheet
As well as introducing jargon and useful tools such as …
- Using Google effectively
- Bookmarking web pages
- DropBox, iCloud, Google Drive
- Kb, Mb, Gb, Tb
Resources and guidelines for trainers
There is a resources box for trainers in the Beacon room on top of the filing cabinet. Please record names of attendees and trainers and pass onto Massimo or leave in the resources box. The resources box contains:
- Blank paper (for toblerone ‘name’ sheets)
- Thick pen (for students to write on a toblerone ‘name’ sheet)
- Red and green ‘help me’ flaps
- Donations sign and bowl
- Trainer guidelines (for new trainers)
- Student guidelines (for new students)
- Selection of students name sheets
Trainers: check and/or fill in your availability here Google spreadsheet